Sorry to have been away for a bit, but there have been a few more drama’s happening which have taken up alot of time recently. Sadly I didn’t make it to the vintage fair as I broke my glasses the night before and couldn’t find my old pair so It really wasn’t a good idea to drive anywhere unless I had to :( Then add to that being told that due to budget cuts my job at the library will be finishing up at the end of November as they can’t afford to keep me (I was not the only one being let go and my boss was really upset about the whole thing).
I’m upset and I blame Barry O’Farrel and his budget cuts to the public services (libraries are not considered front line services, they’re considered a support service so alot of funding is being taken away). I’m lucky I’m not in debt up to my eyeballs or have children so that makes this a bit less stressful but i still need to pay the rent! Hopefully something will come up or I might even go in another direction, we’ll see what happens.
Well enough of that! Despite all the drama I did manage to make something recently, I promised my housemate that I’d make her a halloween costume for a party she was going to. She’s a big Doctor Who fan and a redhead so it was decided she would go as River Song in the dress she wears in the episode Day of the Moon (and other episodes)
While searching for images I also came across another dress that was a dead ringer for this one that came from a store called All Saints which is based in the US and the UK (so nowhere near me) and they were sold out to boot! But I found pictures of it which showed of the hem detail really well as most still pictures from Doctor Who weren’t giving a very good view.
So I patterned my friend and housemate to get the bodice right afew weeks ago, then we went shoping and bought a nice greeny suiting fabric (she liked the colour better than the green in the linen we found) got it all washed and then all my dramas started to happen and it got put on hold. But thankfully I got out of my funk on Friday and started cutting out fabric and pinning it all together. Sewing it all together happened yesterday as she needed the dress for her party that night! I kinda adlibbed the skirt as best i could as i couldn’t get it quite right but i’m still pleased with it. This was also the first project I’ve ever done that had a zipper! It was a teeny bit wonky at the bottom but not to bad for a first try. (I used a handpicked zipper following the tutorial at Sewaholic which made it feel like it would be easy to attempt, and it was really)
All in all, not to bad for 1 day and an evenings solid work !